Saturday, September 8, 2012

Why Breakup Songs are the Best

As I mentioned in an earlier post (way earlier, since I haven't written a blog in over a month), one of my favorite albums is 'Chutes Too Narrow' by the Shins. It's an album beautifully put together, and the majority of the songs are Breakup songs. And then, the ones that aren't are about gathering strength and courage and other things related to breaking up.

I'm realizing more and more what a sucker I am for break up songs. I had a hard time figuring it out for a while though, since I had only gone through a breakup once in my life ever. So while I can relate, not all breakup songs are ones I directly relate to. However, here's what I've found I love about them: love songs (for the most part) are just too happy. So if it's a song about love, I like songs about the heartache. They feel much deeper. You get a real glimpse into the soul of the singer, and oftentimes you can see fractures of your reflection back. Sad songs are an opportunity to become more intimate with yourself.

Since Breakup songs are the most common sad song out there, they're ones I noticed this pattern with first. Here are some favorite Breakup songs of mine:



"Pink Bullets" by the Shins

"Me After You" by AG

"Getting/Needing" by OK Go (bonus since it's an awesome video)


"The Jeep Song" by Dresden Dolls (song starts at 1:17, although the intro is pretty fun)

Hmmm... speaking of Dresden Dolls, they have a lot of Sad and Angry songs that are truly unique. Maybe I'll write a post about them... stay tuned!

Enjoy a little heartache, and tell me your favorite breakup song!!

1 comment:

  1. Somebody More Like You by Nickel Creek. Perfectly bitter. Deliciously so.

    ReplyDelete