Friday, February 24, 2012

Songs That Sound Alike

As Dr. Groene (one of my music therapy profs) would say, "There are only so many notes to choose from." Not only that, but particular rules on how music is structured. So it's no wonder that there are plenty of songs with similarities (great parodies to illustrate this point: Pacelbel Rant and Four Chord Song). But for some reason, some songs just make me want to sing other songs. Maybe because of the similar sounds, similar melodies, similar to identical chord progressions... it gets frustrating trying to sing along to "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand and then finding myself singing, "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard... arrrrgh!"

By the way, I'm not talking about sampling. "Sampling" is a politically correct term for "shameful robbery from a great song and used in a terrible, awful, wretched song." Not that I'm bitter about that...

Here is a list of songs that I always get mixed up, so your singalong times will also be destroyed forever. You're welcome. 

Songs I sing while listening to the other song:

1) "Take Me Out" by Franz Ferdinand = "Milkshake" by Kelis (blasphemy, I know)

2) "Puttin' on the Ritz" = "Istanbul Not Constantinople" (best version blend is Fred Astaire and They Might Be Giants)

3) "Thunder Kiss '65" by White Zombie = "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin

4) There's another song I hear frequently on one of the local radio stations. I can't remember it because I'm always too busy singing Madonna's "Like a Virgin" over it. Anyone know the song I'm talking about? The part where she should be singing, "I've made it through the wilderness..." etc. is whistled.

I hear the first song and it makes me want to listen to the second song:

1) The Strokes = The Strokes (seriously, all their songs sound alike to me. All awesome... just all the same song)

2) "London Bridge" by Fergie = "Hollaback Girl" Gwen Stefani

3) "I Wannt Go" by Britney Spears = "They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard" (which gets me really excited until Britney starts singing... and I realize I've been fooled again)

4) "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men = "Home" by Edward and the Magnetic Zeros

Just for fun, I will also list some popular sample songs that I can't stand that I sing/scream the original over, in case you didn't know the origin:

1) "S.O.S." by Rihanna = "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

2) "5 o'clock" by T-Pain = "Who'd have Known" by Lily Allen

3) "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock = "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon

4) "The Show Goes On" by Lupe Fiasco = "Float On" by Modest Mouse (I... might have cried the first time I heard this... bitter, bitter, tears were wept...)

That's it for me! Obviously the examples are countless, these are just the ones I constantly think of whenever I hear these songs. What are some songs you always sing with other songs?


4 comments:

  1. Wow! I had never thought about the Puttin' on the Ritz/Istanbul connection, but yes!

    I didn't know Werewolves of London before All Summer Long came out (which I absolutely can't stand), so now that I know the Werewolf song I can't stand listening to it either. The beginnings of the two songs are so similar that I immediately changed the station whenever it started playing on the classic rock station, and was SO confused for months about why that station played one current song.

    Whenever I hear Katy Perry music (particularly that horrible California Gurls song, or however she misspells it, and Teenage Dream) I pretty much get it stuck in my head without reprieve and they all blend together.

    On a more positive note, my favorite sample song is "Changes" by 2Pac (yes, for real), which samples "The Way it Is". You should listen to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sad about 'Werewolves of London!' Adam actually reminded me of the first time I heard "All Summer Long." When it started playing, I got really excited (which got him excited about me actually liking a country song). When Kid Rock started singing, I was very upset. :((((

      lol about Katy Perry! I like some songs from her (mostly "You're so Gay"... and that's it. And I believe is because it sounds nothing like the rest of her music.

      I haven't heard that song, I'll have to check it out! :)

      Delete
  2. Thought I'd comment so that you'd know who I am. I found your blog kind of randomly. I love music, though, and I love your insights on music. So I follow'd. :) Tainted Love IS better than S.O.S.

    ReplyDelete