Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mommy Eyes and Ears

In my line of work (as a music therapist), I have to be careful about what kind of music I play for clients. Before I bring in a song to the session, I put on my "Mommy Ears,"  in which I listen to the song through the ears of a very conservative mother of a young child. I usually work my way back from there, but it's a good starting point when choosing music for sessions.

Today I had a small debate with my Mommy Ears, or in this case, more like Mommy Eyes. A client of mine likes to play "DJ Hero" as part of his choice time. While I write his note, he plays a round and then when I'm finished, we play a round together. He was playing "Soulja Boy," which is a song he gets very excited about playing. While he was dancing and playing, I noticed he was grabbing his crotch. My Mommy Eyes were telling me to correct the behavior, but then I found myself battling against doing so. After all, isn't that how these artists behave? I mean, the ever-talented Michael Jackson did it. How could I tell him to stop his behavior while Soulja Boy was shouting out that he is to "Supersoak that hoe"?

In case you've been living under a rock and haven't heard this... much like the dad in the beginning...

It's a balance I'm often faced with, even in everyday situations, like I'm sure most people have to face. All have filters to a varying degree. Some have one so small it seems undetectable. Others make one wonder if they would faint at the sight of a lady's ankle. And so, we have to adjust our own. I've had to pitch songs that mention smoking for some clients, while playing a song every week with swearing for another. I use information like how the parents speak to the client, what kind of music the client listens to already, and so on. It can be a strange experience asking for input from two different parents on the same song.

I hear Mommy Eyes and Ears stick better once one begins to spawn and one becomes a mother. What about you? How often do you have to wear Mommy Ears (or Daddy Ears)? How about the parents out there? Did they become a more permanent fixture after kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment